Even though I'm doing everything in my power to concieve a child of my own, I would also love to adopt a child that has already been brought into the world. My husband does not share this desire, saying that he is not sure that he could love them in the same way as a child that came from him. Which makes sense to me and I don't want to push him at all...so I rarely talk about it.
But I do go online and check out the kids in foster homes...have you seen that you can check out their pictures and "profiles" online? Its crazy! The first time I saw it I couldn't stop crying...these were children...and they have "ads" for themselves. And to think that they don't have a mom or dad to turn to when they need to talk about something...or someone to root them on at their soccer games...it just blows my mind. This is something I totally took (and still take) for granted!!
I was checking out the "ads" again last night (I haven't looked in a couple months because it truly is just torture to see...especially when I know that's not where DH's heart is) because of my BFN. So all last night and this morning I was thinking about what we would have to do to the house to get it ready for a 6, 7 or 8 year old. (I couldn't truly go much older than that...I'm only 25...I can't imagine a fifteen year old listening to me too well!!) As I unloaded the dishwasher I thought....we'd have to get plastic cups and plates...we have all glass!! And we'd have to get an extra bed...where would they go to school? Oh yeah...the one up the street...they'd be a walker...so since DH is on the midnight shift he could walk them home from school...BLAH BLAH BLAH...
I don't know why I was allowing myself to entertain such thoughts...but they came nonetheless. Then later this afternoon I'm driving in the car trying to find a parking spot for 35 minutes (I was at the mall of course with the rest of God's creation) and this song comes on the radio.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnRNP0Qipws&feature=related
And I lost it. What a song!!! And the theme of the song is the same for me, struggling with infertility...all I want for Christmas is a family...just the tyke version instead of the parent version!!!
So I showed this video to DH...wondering if maybe God planted these thoughts in my mind...and had me hear this very song because DH was more ready for that type of thing now...
Not so much.
The video was over...I'm wiping my face and runny nose all over my sweatshirt and he says..."awww...that was a good song...do I have permission to go?" and then leaves the room. No tears. Nothing. And a pretty rude question at the end...like I was forcing him to sit there and share that song with me. I think he is a bit numb by all that is going on with his family...he doesn't want to think about anything too difficult at this time...which I understand...
I've been reading in that book that I got (Hannah's Hope) about the way men deal with infertility. And I'm so glad that I've read it because I read all these blogs and these other girls seem to have such understanding and kind husbands who are so supportive and know just what to say or what to do...but my husband just doesn't want to talk about things. He deals with pain by ignoring it. And that frustrates me cuz I need to talk it out. But in the book it said something like men are "fixers" and especially with infertility, when the man can't "fix" it...he stays away from it...and here I am getting all emotional and he can't understand it. I think that's what the book said. Maybe I need to reread that chapter. But whatever it said it made me feel a bit better...no, not better...normal perhaps.
I can't say he's not understanding or a great husband. Cause he is. He just deals with things differently than I...and that isn't always a bad thing...cuz when I'm falling apart...he's staying strong for me...and I need that too. Just sometimes (exhibit A...this evening) I feel like I'm just walking alone. Full of emotion. Full of tears. Full of anger. Full of resentment. And he feels nothing. And this old saying rings so true..."Men are from Mars, women are from Venus." *sigh*
Watch the video. Its a good one.
ttc-wildride
13 years ago





3 comments:
Haven't gotten a chance to watch the video yet but I feel for you. We are so close to starting the adoption process and my husband says, "honey, if that's what we need to do to have a child then we will." We're going to give this baby making a couple more tries and then I just don't think I can handle anymore. Your husband will sing a different toon if this infertility stuff doesn't pan out. (But it WILL!) I guess for me, I always think about the worst case scenario and get my husband's thoughts on it. You two are still young and have just started working with an RE so don't lose hope. It's a bit early to seriously be contemplating all the rest. Hope your next cycle brings you joy.
I know it seems early, but I think that I just want to start a family, whether its through my body or through my heart. Perhaps my hubby will warm up to the idea someday...I'm so happy for you that your husband is so understanding...but that baby is burrowing in so good..I just know it!!! Thank you for your words of encouragement!! Not sure what I'd do without it!
I did not get to watch the video yet either - actually I think I am avoiding it. Too many tears lately.
But I did want to say that although my DH is a rock during treatments, he is no way, no how ready to talk about adoption and that is even after 3 failed IVFs. I really don't know if he'll ever be ready to and be honest, that's ok with me for now. I am not ready either, so I guess he and I have some common ground there. We have always said that if that ends up being our only option we will do the preliminary research and then digest it all for awhile before making any final decisions (I mean like a year or more).
Everyone processes this all in their own time. It is so much to handle and men have a tough time. Sean was in denial about even the need to seek treatment for a long time. You guys are just beginning this journey, he will adjust. Keep him in the loop and let him know how you feel is all I can tell you. You know you can email me anytime!!
Hugs
Post a Comment